Thursday, October 12, 2006

Sleep driving

For the 3 of so years that I have been driving, I notice I do tend to doze off at the wheel, especially during the evenings when its rather jam. However this sleep driving habit of mine is getting worse lately. Today I was surfing the internet and came upon this article taken from Drivers.com

Tactics to fight drowsiness
Now a new survey shows some of the tactics drivers resort to in an effort to fight drowsiness on the road. In descending order, the most popular tactics those surveyed said they have used when they have become sleepy while they were driving were:

Stop driving or switching drivers (59.5 percent)
I imagine myself telling my lady passenger, hey mind switching over? You drive, I sleep. I bet I would reach heaven faster... since she has not driven for years. Stop driving... where am I supposed to stop? Its more likely that my car is going to be honked at by motorists.

Open the windows or turn on the air conditioning (59.0 percent)
I think I'll pass with the opening window thing, especially with the haze and all. And well, from experience, stronger air conditioning makes me even sleepier

Listen to the radio or CDs (57.7 percent)
Doesnt work, already tried it
Stop to eat or drink (46.3 percent)

Well, like I said earlier, there is no where for me to stop on the way home. I have tried eating, but sweets dont last forever.


Drink caffeine (42.3 percent)
I try not to drink too much before heading home. It is after all a long journey, wouldnt want to need the loo urgently

Other methods the respondents claimed to have used to stay awake at the wheel include talking or singing to themselves (31.7 percent), splashing water in their faces (18.4 percent) and slapping, hitting, or pinching themselves (a self-abusive 16.1 percent).
I guess I'm one of those who abuse myself. However I cant bring myself to slap moi hard enough to leave a lasting effect.
Talking.. well..my passenger is fast asleep everyday on the way home.
Singing.. hmm I have tried that before.. but after a while the words dont make sence anymore....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz


The American Institute of Chartered Personal Casualty Underwriters (which is one heckuva name for a band) insists "stay awake" behaviors such as exercising, turning on the radio, and opening the windows are misconceptions and have not been proven to prevent sleep attacks. Other unproven methods to combat drowsiness are hopping on one foot, swapping pants with another occupant of the car, and trying to remember the name of good Rob Schneider movies

Excuse me but how do you hop in the car? And swapping pants? Mad ar?


Ah well, I guess the only thing I can do is sleep more at night, although it doesnt really work. Sleepiness while driving just happens. Maybe its just too boring or cold. The funyn thing is, once I rech home, I feel so refreshed and wide awake..must be all that sleeping in the car.... It must be a miracle that I'm still alive now, hahaha...

10 comments:

ashes said...

be careful lady..i think its more of a habbit.u must do it at tat time kinda thing.

i once dozed off just for a few seconds while driving back from apiit..and when i opened my eyes..i was driving on the 3rd lane on highway..when earlier i was actually on the 1st lane
-__-

how on earth i managed to get to the 3rd lane without getting knocked in tat semi-bz highway..i hav no idea..i really dun dare to think abt it.

so pun be careful,just 1 second can make so much difference.
try chewing a chewing gum or talking to tat woman sitting beside u.dun let her sleep..keep talking!

Jyrenze said...

Haha well I guess you just drifted over to the 3rd lane just like that. Maybe the other cars thught u were drunk and stayed far far away...:p

Jonquina said...

OMG ASH! I'm amazed you are still alive and whole. As for Punny...haha, it'd be interesting to see you hopping like ur bunnies while driving :D

Eng said...

keep some sweets in the car or as Ash said, chew a gum.

YSLim said...

i will switch on my radio very loudly...choose some ROCK songs such as linkin park and BOOST your speaker.....it works!

Make sure must loud enough! But dun try to too often la

Eng said...

I will definately not use such methods... listening to such loud music would only give me that headache.

I light the soft, gentle, relaxing musics... so I'd choose to chew things in my mouth when I feel sleepy. But the important thing is that to take regular exercise so we won't feel tired so easily.

Anonymous said...

for me, i juz hit the pedal harder n drive even fast when i m sleepy. If i go from sleepy to very sleepy, then i'll drive like a slow turtle -_-

Ash- LOL i tried tat once in a heavy traffic jam when i m sleep plus having a terrible headache. Was sleeping when i hit the accelator, i got awake when i hit the brake :P

Philip said...

its me ontop dunno y it didnt login to my acc

BillyTong said...

I think I have never dozed off when I drive. All the time I am awake when I'm driving.

I only feel sleepy sometimes when I am Holding a newspaper to read. Or reading Looooog white background, black font article in front of computer screen.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Do you guys watch movies in theater or on internet? I use to rent DVD movies from [b]Netflix.com[/b]. Recently I discovered that we can watch all new movies on internet on day, they are released. So why should I spend money on renting movies??? So, can you guys please tell me where I can [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]watch latest movie Cheaters 2010[/url] for free?? I have searched [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Youtube.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Dailymotion.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Megavideo.com[/url] but, Could not find a good working link. If you know any working link please share it with me.


Thanks