Monday, June 04, 2007

Time, a matter of perception

That day my mum and aunt were discussing an incident reported in the newspaper.

Aunt: Neh, an old lady was involved, 51 or 52 years old.
Mum: Oi, what old lady, I'm also 52 ok.
Aunt: Aiya... that lady in the newspaper looks old ma. You look young so you are not an old lady.
Mum: -_-

Which reminds me, sometimes age is all about perspective. For example when we were young, a popular thing we liked to speculate about is what age we would get married. I think for girls in primary school during my time, the so called "ideal age"to get married was 22 - 24. Perhaps that time we based our fancies on novels, tv shows or our parents. We even tried to be realistic. ( Aiya, get married at 16 like the girl in that story too young la, we have not finished secondary school yet. at least age 22 la...)

Of course as we grew older,the ideal age had increased a little. (Hmm, 24 - 26 years old better la) Well with tertiary education and all, suddenly we find ourselves 22 years old and still in college. In no time at all , we are already 24 and in our 1st job. Suddenly the idea of marriage at this is rather laughable. I mean like, perhaps we dont even have enough money left over at the end of the month. We are not ready. We have not travelled half as many places as we wanted to, nor done the things we had always wanted to do. Where is the ideal guy/ girl that is to be our life partner? Suddenly time seems to be running short. Days fly by, every Monday seems to loom ahead in a split second, every year seems to end in moments.




I read somewhere that as we get older, time passes faster and faster. Actually its only logical that its perceived that way. When you are 5, even wating the 2 hours for your tv show to start is an eternity. When you are 50, whats another 2 days? Well think about it this way. For a 5 year old, 1 year is equivalent to 1/5 or 10% of his life. For a 50 year old, 1 year is 1/50 or 0.02% of his life. So I guess the older we get, the faster time leaves us behind.

Anither sighable fact is how we watched cartoons featuring heroes and heroines our age or older, say 14 or 15 years old. Now its like, mi gosh, I am almost 10 years older than Sailormoon already. Maybe one day I'll suddenly realise that I'm older than Spiderman, Superman or every other superhero there is.

Wait I'm starting to ramble adi... hahaha... Another sign of getting old! GAH !

14 comments:

YSLim said...

no choice...time over too fast..

we have no way to stop it...

start getting older n older..

Anonymous said...

lol! its so funny the way u put it. so we will get older than the immortals someday. nyahhaha

and seriously, your mum doesnt look 52. wait till she finds out that u revealed her age in your blog. you're dead. xDxD

ashes said...

hey..i really enjoyed this post pun..
one of your best..:)
i wish to write something here..but let me find my words first..haha..great one pun..;)

Jyrenze said...

I had to stop myself from crapping too much once I reached the 0.02% of life and what not, haha... I found some kinda cool pics regarding the passage of time, maybe I'll post that up in another post someday, hehe.

Jyrenze said...

Oh and uh.. my mum does read my blog. Hmm, I better blog mroe posts so that she doesnt see this on top =p

Jonquina said...

Nyahahahaha...Puny, if you wanna be young, start idolising celebrities like me. :D YOUNG AT HEART!

BillyTong said...

Time is moving fast even when u are young.Try to do anything that is meaningfull to your life.

For example, I do not go shopping to look for things to buy. Wasting time.

regarding marriage age. I will not marry a 30yrs old woman. :P

Jyrenze said...

Steffi: I idolize anime characters,haha... is that good enough?

BillyTong: Shopping is what makes life interesting! haha....
What if you are already 35? Dont tell me you want to marry a 22 year old woman...although its not unheard of.

Jonquina said...

Pun, nowadays ah...90 yrs old also can marry 20++..what is 20 yrs difference?

ezra said...

you are old.

Eng said...

age is just a number... as long as you're young at heart, then you're forever young...

ashes said...

i kinda agree wit eng..

some ppl look so young but when u hear their age..wow..its way much older that u expected.
but some ppl so young at age but talk n act like some uncle/aunty..wanna act matured la konon..arghh..so boring.

but i guess it all depends on how u project yourself and the way u behave.cheerful and easy going ppl always tend to look much younger..in my opinion.

i wanna look young also..haha..but i think many ppl tell me i look matured/older for my age..:(
sigh..how sad..

Jyrenze said...

alvin: looks who's talking.

eng: thats true

ash: I think you look exactly your age. Hmm if you wanna look younger maybe you should change your hairstyle to a funky one!

Eng said...

Ash, I won't mind looking matured and looking matured does not mean you look old... so you don't look old... just matured

oh... and I'm one example of those looking younger than my age... many ppl don't actually believe my age :(