Wednesday, July 11, 2007

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

I was surfing the net when this quote caught my eye. At first glance it seems like a usual funny quote, something the lazy Homer would say.... but then it also struck me how true this quote was. Sometimes we just rather not try than to do our best and end up disappointed.


The counter quote might be something like, its ok if you failed, at least you tried your best, but sometimes I feel, it hurts even more to fail because you have tried your best. If that really was your best effort, it just simply meant you were not good enough.

I know I hate it when people try to console my failures with " At least you have done your best". That was I can't even comfort myself with something like "I didn't score well in the exam because I didn't study la." It just seems to show that even my best efforts suck.

Somehow all this reminds me of college. We did try our best sometimes, doing assignments and all, slaving till the wee hours of the morning, but the outcome is still bad. Still a C or B laughing in the face of all our hard work and effort. Maybe it has affected me so that I rarely ever try my best at anything anymore... hehe.... well thats except in playing certain computer or P/S games la :p

4 comments:

Eng said...

I think I've heard of that quote somewhere before... I've heard of someone saying like... 'never to just try but to do your best'

from what I understand, trying makes a mind lazy and hardly successful... doing your best makes you fight harder for success.

YSLim said...

if afraid of fail and not to try it...
then just sit there and do nothing.......

Jonquina said...

Actually that is so true... For the past few weeks, I've been trying to do my best, paying extra attention to those VIP work, but instead, everything that could go wrong went wrong, everything that I didn't imagine could go wrong ALSO went wrong...

It got to the point where I wonder how long I could stay with this job. I'm still trying to "right" them, things don't look too bad now.

Jyrenze said...

eng: Well I guess you can take homers statement both ways, either you don't try at all meaning you put in 0 effort or you just do your absolute best and not just 'try'

yslim: sometimes doing nothing is not so tiring, ahaha

steffi: same here! I felt the same way about my job..